In February 2014 the Village Board approved an agreement with KLOA to perform a traffic engineering study related to The Opus Group's (Opus) proposed mixed-use development of the former Rich Port YMCA property called Uptown La Grange. The purpose of the study was to coordinate site access and traffic improvements between the multiple projects and improvements within this corridor including the Opus project, IDOT's proposed right turn lane onto La Grange Road for westbound traffic on Ogden Avenue, the redevelopment of Gordon Park, and improvements to Lot 14.
KLOA provided the Traffic Impact Study including a traffic signal warrant analysis. That analysis determined that a signal was warranted at the intersection of Ogden and Locust Avenues based on the current and anticipated traffic volumes related to the projects noted above. The study was submitted to IDOT in June 2014 for concurrence and preliminary approval of a signal at this location. IDOT concurred with the finding that a signal is warranted.
At the same time, IDOT was planning several improvements to the intersection of La Grange Road with Ogden as part of IDOT's Highway Safety Improvement Program. These improvements included the addition of a right turn lane for westbound traffic on Ogden as noted above, turning radius modifications, signal improvements, and improvements to the intersection of Ogden and Locust in addition to the traffic signals.
The proposed improvements at Ogden and Locust included both the realignment of Locust from its current skewed alignment and the traffic signals. Staff recommended to IDOT that the road realignment and traffic signals be combined with IDOT's right turn lane and other intersection improvements at La Grange Road and Ogden Avenue. The two projects were consolidated because they occurred within the same work zone. This consolidation created an economy of scale and is intended to limit inconvenience to motorists and residents.
The Village is pleased to announce that the La Grange Road, Ogden Avenue and Locust Avenue Intersection Improvement Project is tentatively planned to start on Monday, April 17, 2017. This project is a cooperative effort between the Village, IDOT, and Opus to improve traffic and pedestrian safety at this intersection. The contract for this project was awarded to the joint venture of Alliance Contractors and Home Towne Electric. The scope of work for the project includes the following:
- Installation of a new right turn lane from west bound Ogden Avenue to north bound La Grange Road
- Turning radius improvements at the four corners of the intersection of La Grange Road and Ogden Avenue
- Installation of a new storm sewer on Ogden Avenue
- Replacement of traffic signals at the intersection of La Grange Road and Ogden Avenue
- Replacement of street lights within the project corridor on Ogden Avenue and La Grange Road
- Installation of a new traffic signal and pedestrian crossing at Ogden Avenue and Locust Avenue (Commuter Parking Lot 14 / Entrance to Gordon Park)
- Resurfacing of the roadways within the project corridor
- Installation of new sidewalks along the north side of Ogden Avenue between La Grange Road and Lot 14