Don't Flush Medicine Down the Toilet
Many people think they should flush medicine down the toilet as a means to dispose of unwanted or expired pharmaceuticals.
However, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has determined that substantial amounts of antibiotics in lakes are contaminating our drinking water.
To get rid of your unwanted/expired medications, you may stop by the La Grange Police Department at 304 W Burlington and place your unwanted medications into the secured medication box located in the lobby.
If you are unable to visit the police lobby:
- Take your prescription drugs out of their original containers.
- Crush solid medicines.
- Mix medicines with an undesirable substance, such as cat litter or used coffee grounds.
- Put this mixture into a disposable container with a lid or into a sealable bag.
- Conceal or remove any personal information including Rx number, on the empty containers by covering it with a black permanent marker or by scratching it off.
- Place the sealed container with the mixture and the empty drug containers in the trash.
For More Information
If you have any questions regarding the disposal of medication, or if you have concerns which you would like to share, please contact the Fire Department Secretary at (708) 579-2338.