The week of August 22 is the first week of school for most elementary and high school students in La Grange.
As traffic and pedestrian safety is a priority for the Village of La Grange, and to ensure a safe environment for school-aged children by increasing public awareness, the Village would like to provide motorists, residents and parents with the following safety reminders:
1. The speed limit around schools is 20 mph.
2. The La Grange Police Department will be patrolling around schools to ensure child safety.
3. Parents and children should use school designated walking routes.
4. Please obey crossing guard commands; this applies to everyone.
5. Parents should consider establishing a “walking school bus” whereby an adult accompanies a group of neighborhood children walking to school.
6. Drivers must stop and yield the right-of-way to pedestrians when a person is walking with a green light or has entered a crosswalk before the traffic signal has changed.
7. Motorists must stop before passing a school bus when it is loading or unloading passengers. However, motorists must remain stopped when the signal arm is extended and lights are flashing.
8. Parents are asked to exercise extra caution and allow themselves additional time for student drop-off and pick-up.
The Village asks that all motorists drive carefully through La Grange.