The Village of La Grange and surrounding communities have recently experienced an increase in “ruse burglaries” (otherwise known as “gypsy-type ruse entry scams”). There have been several recently reported incidents where an offender has gained or has attempted to gain entry to a residence with the intent to burglarize a victim.
A “ruse burglary” occurs when a group of individuals targets a residence (typically owned by an elderly person), claiming that they work for the Village, utility company, construction company or other similar type of entity. The offender will ask the resident to leave the house to look at something in the backyard, garage or basement while another individual enters the home to steal money, jewelry or other items of value. Often, a resident will not realize they have been victimized until several days later.
The Village of La Grange Police Department would like to provide Village residents with the following crime prevention suggestions to deter the possibility of a residential burglary of this type:
1. If a suspicious person knocks on your door claiming to work for the village, utility, or construction company, and cannot produce appropriate identification, do not let them in your home or leave your home at the request of the individual. Immediately call the La Grange Police Department by dialing 911.
2. Do not be fooled by individuals claiming to be refunding an overpayment or reporting a hazard to your home. Call 911 immediately.
3. Do not leave your doors unlocked to go into your yard with anyone that you do not know.
4. Check with elderly neighbors to make sure that they are aware of ruse burglaries and know how to deter them.
5. La Grange is a caring and community-oriented Village. If you hear or see something that is suspicious, or out of the ordinary, do not hesitate - call 911 immediately.
Police are asking anyone who may have information to call the La Grange Police Department’s Investigative Division at (708) 579-2333.
For more crime prevention information, please contact the La Grange Police Department at (708) 579-2334.