Because critical systems and other electronic devices are typically located in basements, there is a higher risk of electrocution when entering a flooded basement to assess damage.
Residents are encouraged to take safety precautions before entering a basement that contains water as follows:
- Call ComEd at 1-800-EDISON-1 (1-800-334-7661) to disconnect power before entering a flooded basement.
- Never wade into a flooded basement unless all electricity has been disconnected as water may be in contact with electrical outlets, appliances or cords.
- If you are experiencing a power outage, do not wade into a flooded basement. Power may be restored while you are in the flooded basement and the motors on appliances may be submerged.
- Never attempt to turn off power at the breaker box if you must stand in water to do so.
- Never operate electrical applicances or devices or touch electrical switches, outlets or cords if you are standing in water or are on a wet surface, or if you are wet.
- Be aware of any electrical equipment that could be energized and in contact with water.
Residents are also reminded to never approach a downed power line. If you encounter a downed power line, immediately call ComEd at 1-800-EDISON-1 (1-800-334-7661).
For more information, please click on the link below.