The week of August 18 marks the beginning of school for most elementary and high school students in La Grange. As traffic and pedestrian safety is a priority for the Village of La Grange, and to ensure a safe environment for school-aged children by increasing public awareness, the Village would like to provide motorists, residents and parents with the following safety reminders:
• The speed limit around schools is 20 mph. Please drive carefully.
• Parents and children should use designated walking routes to ensure safety.
• Please obey crossing guard commands.
• Parents should consider establishing a “walking school bus” whereby an adult accompanies a group of neighborhood children walking to school.
• Drivers must stop and yield the right-of-way to pedestrians when a person is walking with a green light or has entered a crosswalk before the traffic signal has changed.
• Motorists must stop before passing a school bus when it is loading or unloading passengers. Motorists must remain stopped when the signal arm is extended and lights are flashing.
• Parents are asked to exercise extra caution and allow themselves additional time for student drop-off and pick-up.
• Cell phone usage is prohibited while driving on a roadway in a school speed zone.
• The La Grange Police Department will be patrolling around schools to ensure child safety.
The Village asks that all motorists drive carefully through La Grange.