Although no such crimes have been reported, the Village of La Grange would like to remind residents to be vigilant regarding “confidence crimes” or “ruse burglaries”.
Occasionally police reports are taken where the victim indicates their house was burglarized. In the incidents the homeowner answers the door and one offender advises they are a contractor, utility company or village worker. While distracted, the burglary occurs.
The Village of La Grange Police Department would like to provide Village residents with the following crime prevention suggestions to deter the possibility of a residential burglary of this type:
1. If a suspicious person knocks on your door claiming to work for the village, utility company, or construction company, and cannot produce appropriate identification, do not let them in your home or leave your home at the request of the individual. Immediately call the La Grange Police Department by dialing 911.
2. Do not be fooled by individuals claiming to be refunding an overpayment or reporting a hazard to your home. Call 911 immediately.
3. Do not leave your doors unlocked to go into your yard with anyone that you do not know.
4. Check with elderly neighbors to make sure that they are aware of ruse burglaries and know how to deter them.
5. La Grange is a caring and community-oriented Village. If you hear or see something that is suspicious, or out of the ordinary, do not hesitate - call 911 immediately.
Please do not hesitate to report any suspicious activity by calling the La Grange Police Department at 9-1-1.
For more crime prevention information, please contact the La Grange Police Department at (708) 579-2334.