The week of January 7 marks the return to school for most elementary and high schools students in La Grange. As part of our “Be the Change, Travel Safely in La Grange” Traffic Safety campaign, the La Grange Police Department would like to provide motorists, residents and pedestrians with the following reminders:
The speed limit around schools is 20 mph. Please drive carefully.
- Please obey crossing guard commands.
- Yield to ALL pedestrians.
- Motorists must stop when a school bus is loading or unloading passengers. Motorists must remain stopped when the signal arm is extended and lights are flashing.
- Cell phone usage is prohibited while driving on a roadway within a school speed zone.
- Parents are asked to exercise caution and allow themselves additional time for student drop-off and pick-up.
Do not assume a vehicle sees you.
- Make eye contact and use hand signals to communicate with a vehicle’s driver.
- Use crosswalks even if they are further down the street from where you intend to cross.
For those with young children, we ask that you please share this information with them too. Safety requires a collaborative effort and we appreciate your help as we start the new school year.
“Be the change, travel safely in La Grange!” For further information see Safety Campaign Flier