The week of August 19 marks the return to school for elementary and high school students in La Grange. As part of the Police Department's "Be the Change, Travel Safe in La Grange" traffic safety campaign, the La Grange Police Department would like to provide the following reminders
- Pay attention to what is going on around you
- If you are dropping off - schools often have very specific drop-off procedures for the school year. Make sure you know the procedures. The following apply to all school zones:
- Don't double park; it blocks visibility for other children and vehicles
- Don't load or unload children across the street from the school (drop off at the curb)
- Carpool or walk to reduce the number of vehicles at the school
- Please obey crossing guard commands.
- Cell phone usage is prohibited while driving on a roadway within a school speed zone, including hands free devices.
- Yield to ALL pedestrians.
- Do not block pedestrian crosswalks at any time.
- Obey school zone speed limits – new electronic flashing school signage will be installed on Ogden Avenue this fall reminding motorists to obey the speed limit and remain alert during peak school crossing times.
Pedestrians / Bicyclists:
- Do not assume a vehicle sees you.
- Make eye contact and use hand signals to communicate with a vehicle’s driver.
- Use crosswalks even if they are further down the street from where you intend to cross.
- Do not use your phone while crossing a street.
- Use pedestrian crossing buttons to activate the “walk” signal at intersections. Cross the street only when you see the “walk” signal.
- Pay attention to the crossing guard when using an intersection staffed by a crossing guard
For those with young children at home, we ask that you please share this information with them too. Safety requires a collaborative effort and we appreciate your help as we start the new school year.
“Be the change, travel safe in La Grange!” For further information, see the Safety Campaign Flier.